Pot Bellied Pigs/Piglets

Question
My little runt, Stanley, has a very swollen left testicle. He is so small and both testicles are huge but especialy the left one. I was wondering what it is and why he has that. My little my piglets fght a LOT. Stanley also has a very swollen left ear. What can I do about that? I am worried so much about them. They are only 1 1/2 weeks old. I don't want them to have defective ears or be in pain. Please help!

Answer
Pigs fight by biting each other's ears. Often, this leads to infection. Wash the infected ears thoroughly. You can use any wound care ointment for people on their ears. Then, coat all the ears with Vasoline, so they can not catch hold.

I am not a veterinarian and can not make a medical diagnosis over the internet. There's a list of veterinarians who treat pet pigs, along with lots of other pig info, at www.farec.org

Mini pigs have maxi sized testicles. When one is substantially larger than the other, the smaller one is often undescended, or stuck in the body. This is called cryptorchid. When this piglet is neutered, the vet will have to go all the way into the abdomen to get the stubborn testicle.

These babies are very young, but they are also old enough to begin drinking from a pan and playing with some simple toys. If the weather is warm enough they could use some time outside rooting in the dirt.

Piglets get important nutrients by rooting in the soil. If you can get some organic topsoil or potting soil, and don't mind the mess, the piglets would enjoy playing in it. Be sure the bagged soil does not contain plant food or weed poison.  

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison