Pot Bellied Pigs/potty problems

I have a two year old potbelly pig. I've had him since he was a baby and he was potty trained right away. For the past two years my piggy has been trained and never had a problem. Within the last couple weeks my pig has peed in the same spot about 4 or 5 times. Always the same spot and I cant get him to stop. He still goes potty outside and hasn't made a mistake anywhere else in the house. Please help, I don't know what to do.

If he was fully potty trained for two years and this is new behavior, something must have changed to make him do this. It may be a new pet, person or thing in his environment, is it possible a visiting dog (or child!!) went potty in that spot? Perhaps there's something there making an odor he can smell?

Clean the area with any quality product designed to remove pet odors. Keep him away from that spot. Try rearranging furniture, or putting a throw rug there. Keeping him on a harness and lead will prevent him from sneaking there behind your back. If the spot is someplace he must pass often, like a hallway, you can keep him walking quickly past it if he's on a lead. Do not let him linger near there.

Increase the number of potty breaks. If possible, take him to potty before he goes anywhere near the trouble spot. The idea is to get him so empty he doesn't have the urge to make a mistake there.

Pigs have long memories, so you'll have to keep up the strict potty routines for a few months.

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison

Pot-bellied or other miniature pet pig care, including diet, housing, training, health care. Can provide information about zoning, adoption, supplies, and organizations. Questions about any kind of pet swine are welcome!

Owning, raising, and caring for small pet swine, including "Vietnamese" pot-bellied pigs since 1992.

Pigs of Great Fortune; FAREC; PigCollaborative

BBA from KSU