Pot Bellied Pigs/Unexplainable weight loss, loss of control of hindquarters

Hi there,
My female pbp is an unknown age. I saved her from a bad home and due to her size I'm sure they lied to me about her age. I've had her for 4 years now, and she has never been underweight until recently. I have more than doubled her pellets, she gets potatoes and other treats everyday as well, but is not gaining weight. She was given Ivomec two weeks ago and I repeated the dose today, but I had not seen any worms in her poop after the first treatment. She is so skinny it looks like I don't feed her and it breaks my heart to see her so ill looking. All of her bones are showing. She also seems to be losing control of her hindquarters, her back legs just seem to cave in on her when she tries to walk. Her hooves are in good condition so it is not from overgrown hooves. I am desperate for a solution as her vet has told me that it's beyond her scope of practice

I am not a veterinarian and can not make a medical diagnosis or prescribe medication over the internet.

When an older pig rapidly looses weight, the culprit is often cancer. There is a list of veterinarians that see pet pigs at  If your vet is willing, will put your vet in touch with an experienced pig vet to help. Contact for more information on that.

In the meantime, you can try to slow down (hopefully reverse) the weight loss by upping her calorie and nutritional intake dramatically. Switch her from regular pellets to calf manna, and let her have as much as she wants.

I've had good luck with a mix of Ensure or Boost (Most pigs seem especially fond of the strawberry flavor.), whole canned milk, and powdered instant breakfast, blended together into a shake. Give piggy two or three of these a day to start, more if piggy will drink it all. You can also blend in just about anything - fruit, cream cheese, sour cream or ice cream.  

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison

Pot-bellied or other miniature pet pig care, including diet, housing, training, health care. Can provide information about zoning, adoption, supplies, and organizations. Questions about any kind of pet swine are welcome!

Owning, raising, and caring for small pet swine, including "Vietnamese" pot-bellied pigs since 1992.

Pigs of Great Fortune; FAREC; PigCollaborative

BBA from KSU