Pot Bellied Pigs/Sick pot belly pig.

Question
Hello, 3 days ago I bought a pot belly pig from a Petstore. All weekend he had bad diahria, started puking, wouldn't eat, and very shaky. He was about 2 months old. Today he passed away, and I just want to know what kind of illnesses have those symptoms, what could e possibly died from. We tried feeding him oats with water, and water.

Answer
I am not a veterinarian and can not make a medical diagnosis over the internet. The only way to accurately determine the cause of death is a necropsy performed by a veterinarian.

I am very sorry this happened. It's heartbreaking to loose a baby pig.

E. coli is very common in baby piglets, and can be fatal if not treated. But, an 8 week old piglet should be well passed the danger stage for e. coli. It is not unusual for pet stores to misrepresent (or may not even know) the true age of a piglet.

Sadly, I have heard stories like this far too often. When I have heard follow ups, it usually turns out that the piglet was sick when sold and very, very young, sometimes as young as two or three days.

I strongly urge you to get a necropsy done on the baby. If this store is selling sick piglets and/or misrepresenting their age, the documentation from a necropsy can be used to stop them from selling sick babies, and help you get your money back.

Again, I can not say anything for certain about your specific situation. Only a qualified veterinarian can accurately comment on your situation.

For more information on baby piglets including proper diet and health care, I suggest pigs4ever.com and farec.org

If you decide to get another baby, consider adopting a baby from a rescue. Many rescues and sanctuaries end up with pregnant pigs and babies. They will not let a sick baby go, and are very happy to help new pig owners.  

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison