Pot Bellied Pigs/"smacking" and other piggy noises

My wife recently brought home a 2 1/2 month old mini pbp. As soon as "Dozer" got home he latched on to me and I am very fond of him now! However, he sleeps in a crate right beside me and he is waking me up at all hours of the night making a very loud smacking noise. He does this almost All of the time! After eating, before eating while going to sleep, when.he wakes up, while being held, literally all the time. I'm trying to understand his piggy talk but im lost on this one. And do you know of any base to work off of when understanding him? Thanks for your help!

Pigs are vocal, and make a lot of different sounds. The smacking is probably due to teething. Pigs have three sets of teeth, so he will be loosing and growing new teeth until he is almost 3 years old.

I highly recommend the book Pot-Bellied Pig Behavior and Training by Priscilla Valentine. I also recommend the dvds from  There's a Pig in the House and Amazing Pig Tricks. The Yahoo Group PigInfoAndChat is also an excellent resource they are happy to share their interpretations of piggy talk.  

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison

Pot-bellied or other miniature pet pig care, including diet, housing, training, health care. Can provide information about zoning, adoption, supplies, and organizations. Questions about any kind of pet swine are welcome!

Owning, raising, and caring for small pet swine, including "Vietnamese" pot-bellied pigs since 1992.

Pigs of Great Fortune; FAREC; PigCollaborative

BBA from KSU