Pot Bellied Pigs/how long are pbps able to be bred

Question
Hello! My boyfriend and I raise large pigs already for meat and sometimes sell the piglets. We have an opportunity to buy a breeding pair of pbps, the male is 5 and the sow is 7.I was wondering if the female will continue to be able to be bred, or if she is too old.

Answer
She may be fertile for a few more years. But, there is an abundance of pot-bellied pigs, in most places piglets can be purchased for as little as $5. Commercial slaughterhouses can not legally use pot-bellied pigs due to USDA regulations. I totally recommend pot-bellied pigs as pets. But, due to the low price of piglets and abundance of pet pigs in desperate need of a home, I can not recommend breeding them.

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison