Pot Bellied Pigs/how long are pbps able to be bred

Hello! My boyfriend and I raise large pigs already for meat and sometimes sell the piglets. We have an opportunity to buy a breeding pair of pbps, the male is 5 and the sow is 7.I was wondering if the female will continue to be able to be bred, or if she is too old.

She may be fertile for a few more years. But, there is an abundance of pot-bellied pigs, in most places piglets can be purchased for as little as $5. Commercial slaughterhouses can not legally use pot-bellied pigs due to USDA regulations. I totally recommend pot-bellied pigs as pets. But, due to the low price of piglets and abundance of pet pigs in desperate need of a home, I can not recommend breeding them.

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison

Pot-bellied or other miniature pet pig care, including diet, housing, training, health care. Can provide information about zoning, adoption, supplies, and organizations. Questions about any kind of pet swine are welcome!

Owning, raising, and caring for small pet swine, including "Vietnamese" pot-bellied pigs since 1992.

Pigs of Great Fortune; FAREC; PigCollaborative

BBA from KSU