Pot Bellied Pigs/scabby thing

Question
I was scratching my 2.5 year old female pig today and found a lump behind her ear area. It was like extra thick dry skin. I scratched a little bit of it off and it was like pulling off a scab. Underneath was open skin like.  She has never has anything like this before. She is an I door pig who goes out to play and go to the bathroom. I put a little bit of neosporin on it.

Answer
Pigs have thick skin that's normally impervious to biting insects and parasites. But, the soft places like between the legs or behind the ears can be bitten.

I am not a veterinarian and can not make a medical diagnosis over the internet.

I suspect this is either a bug bite, or she scratched herself somehow and it has started to heal up.

Neosporin is fine, you can use anything made for human skin on your pig.

As long as piggy seems healthy otherwise I believe there is nothing to worry about. Danger signs include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite, refusing to drink, not going potty, etc. If she develops these symptoms she'll need to see a vet.

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison