Pot Bellied Pigs/A Happy Healthy Piggy

I have a 4 month old pbp and she became a member of our family 6 weeks ago.  I want to make sure that I'm feeding her the best diet to keep her happy and healthy.  I'm trying not to overfeed her, because I don't want her to end up huge, but I don't want to under feed her either.  I have her on Mazuri mini pig food now (about 1 C a day), but we also give her cheerios as treats. I also give her a partial Flintstone vitamin as a supplement since it's cold outside and she's an indoor piggy.  Is this a good diet plan for her?  I have read that whole grains, veggies and yogurt are a better diet so I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing to keep her within a healthy size and weight.  Any suggestions for a new mommy?

Fresh veggies, fruits and grazing time are important supplements to a diet of piggy pellets. Pellets are manufactured to contain all the vitamins and minerals that a mini pig needs to be healthy. Mazuri, and several other manufacturers, have studied mini pig nutrition and have nutritionists on staff to ensure the food is nutritionally sound.

A young, healthy pig getting both fresh food and pellets doesn't really need an extra vitamin tablet.

Figuring out how much a pig needs to eat can be tricky. Each pig is different, and lifestyle has a big effect. The best thing to do is just look carefully at piggy daily and weigh piggy weekly, and make adjustments as needed. A young, growing pig should grow and gain weight, but not look like a stuffed sausage.

Cheerios are an excellent training treat. Use them just one at a time! Piggy will enjoy one just as much as a handful, and one is eaten quickly so piggy can get right back to training.

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison

Pot-bellied or other miniature pet pig care, including diet, housing, training, health care. Can provide information about zoning, adoption, supplies, and organizations. Questions about any kind of pet swine are welcome!

Owning, raising, and caring for small pet swine, including "Vietnamese" pot-bellied pigs since 1992.

Pigs of Great Fortune; FAREC; PigCollaborative

BBA from KSU