Pot Bellied Pigs/A Happy Healthy Piggy

Question
I have a 4 month old pbp and she became a member of our family 6 weeks ago.  I want to make sure that I'm feeding her the best diet to keep her happy and healthy.  I'm trying not to overfeed her, because I don't want her to end up huge, but I don't want to under feed her either.  I have her on Mazuri mini pig food now (about 1 C a day), but we also give her cheerios as treats. I also give her a partial Flintstone vitamin as a supplement since it's cold outside and she's an indoor piggy.  Is this a good diet plan for her?  I have read that whole grains, veggies and yogurt are a better diet so I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing to keep her within a healthy size and weight.  Any suggestions for a new mommy?

Answer
Fresh veggies, fruits and grazing time are important supplements to a diet of piggy pellets. Pellets are manufactured to contain all the vitamins and minerals that a mini pig needs to be healthy. Mazuri, and several other manufacturers, have studied mini pig nutrition and have nutritionists on staff to ensure the food is nutritionally sound.

A young, healthy pig getting both fresh food and pellets doesn't really need an extra vitamin tablet.

Figuring out how much a pig needs to eat can be tricky. Each pig is different, and lifestyle has a big effect. The best thing to do is just look carefully at piggy daily and weigh piggy weekly, and make adjustments as needed. A young, growing pig should grow and gain weight, but not look like a stuffed sausage.

Cheerios are an excellent training treat. Use them just one at a time! Piggy will enjoy one just as much as a handful, and one is eaten quickly so piggy can get right back to training.

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison