Pot Bellied Pigs/4 year old micro pig peeing small amounts everywhere (signs of uti??)

Question
Hi there,
I have a 4 year old male micro pig who was neutered as a baby and is 100% litter box trained. He never makes a mistake. But recently, he has been peeing both in his litter box and also outside of it (everywhere on the floor). I noticed when he pees, he squats and is peeing in small amounts (about the size of a nickel coin). He will pee in his litter box then come out and pee on the floor and then go in the litter box again and continues this pattern. Would this be symptoms of a uti and if so what causes this, or could it be something else?

Thank you

Answer
I am not a veterinarian and can not make a medical diagnosis over the internet. But any signs of straining to urinate, such as squatting, usually indicate a urinary blockage. Left untreated this can cause the bladder to burst or the kidneys to fail. Piggy needs to see a vet. There's a list of vets that see pet pigs at www.farec.org. If you do not see one near you, check the veterinary colleges also listed on the site, and ask the closest one for a referral.

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison