Pot Bellied Pigs/pot belly pig

I have a 7 month old female pot belly pig. The past two days she has had blood in her urine. Is this a infection or something worse?

I am not a veterinarian and can not make a medical diagnosis over the internet.

This is likely one of two things. Either an infection, in which case she will need to see a veterinarian for medication. Or it might be a signal of her first heat. Most pigs do not bleed, some do. She is at the right age for heats to start and is old enough to be spayed.

Still another possibility is that the red is not blood, but a side effect from something she ate. When some pigs eat a lot of acorns, their urine can turn dark red.

I suggest a check up with a veterinarian who can determine if this is heat, a strange side effect, or a serious infection.  

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison

Pot-bellied or other miniature pet pig care, including diet, housing, training, health care. Can provide information about zoning, adoption, supplies, and organizations. Questions about any kind of pet swine are welcome!

Owning, raising, and caring for small pet swine, including "Vietnamese" pot-bellied pigs since 1992.

Pigs of Great Fortune; FAREC; PigCollaborative

BBA from KSU