Pot Bellied Pigs/My pig is sick help plz!!!

Question
Hi i have a 13yr old pbp she has never been fixed the last few mons her stomack has got real big and she has lost alot of wieght i have wormed her and givin her antibiotics nothing has helped can't left to bring to vet what can i do ?

Answer
I am not a veterinarian, and can not make a medical diagnosis or prescribe treatment over the internet.

Is it possible she was exposed to an intact male pig? It's unnusal for a pig this old to have a first litter, but still possible.

I'm afraid a more likely possibility is a much sadder one. Many intact female pigs develop uterine tumors when they reach their teens. The only treatment for these tumors is surgery. They can grow to massive size, sometimes as large as 30 or 40 lb.

If piggy is underweight, you can give her lots of nutrition rich foods to offset the weight loss. Most pigs enjoy Boost and Ensure, especially the strawberry  flavor. Switch her to youth or starter pellets, but give her generous adult sized portions. Add cream cheese or sour cream to her food.

There is a short list of veterinarians that see pet pigs at www.farec.org. If you are not near any of them, contact the closest ones, they may be able to give you a referral. Some horse vets make house calls, so you might ask about that, too.

It can be difficult to move a large pig. An airline approved crate works best. If the crate doesn't have wheels, you can use a furniture mover or dolly, which is basically a flat wooden square with wheels. The crate with the pig in it can be wheeled anywhere, such as up a ramp and into the back of a van or suv.

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison