Pot Bellied Pigs/Pig Urine vs Hardwood Floors

Question
My pig decided she didnt like using her training pads anymore, and has decided to urinate on the hardwood floors. We got sick of this, so we built her an outside pen..however, the urine smell is still existent in the hardwood floor. Anytime we saw urine/feces on the floor we would clean it up immediately, but apparently the smell has seeped into the floor and im not sure how to get rid of it, without removing and replacing the existent flooring... suggestions?

Answer
I'm not a flooring expert, but here are a few things to try

If you can identify a particular spot where the odor is coming from, and it's not in a high-traffic area, try Sweet PDZ. Sweet PDZ is a natural product from volcanos that looks a lot like cat litter. It's very absorbent and good at killing odors. It's marketed as a freshener or deodorizer for horse and farm animal stalls, but you can use it safely anywhere. www.sweetpdz.com

Basically, just pour a lot of PDZ on that spot, at least several inches deep. Then, the difficult part, is leaving it sit for a couple of weeks. It's a natural product, not a chemical, so it takes some time to work. Slowly, gradually, it will suck the odors and any residual urine from the floor. Then just sweep it away and wipe up any leftover dust with a dust cloth or handheld vacuum.

Most hardwood floors have a sturdy coating, like polyurethane, that can withstand cleaning. But I don't know what your floor is or what it's coated with, so test these suggestions in a hidden area of the floor before tackling the whole room.

Try washing the entire floor with any quality product designed to remove pet odor and is safe to use on hardwood floors. Check the package to make sure it's safe on the floors and follow the package directions.

Cider vinegar alone or slightly diluted can curb urine odors. Vinegar is slightly acidic, so test before applying. One option is to clean the worst spots with vinegar, let it dry, then clean again with a wood floor cleaner.

A mix of 1/3 cider vinegar, 1/3 boiled linseed oil, and 1/3 turpentine is an excellent wood cleaner that won't harm most finishes BUT keep everything OFF the floor until it's completely dry. Put the vinegar, oil and turpentine into a glass jar with a lid. Close the lid and shake it well. Dip a 000 superfine steel wool pad into the cleaner, squeeze most of the liquid out, and apply to the floor with the pad. These three ingredients will never, ever blend together, so always shake the jar before dipping the pad in. When it's dry, wipe with a soft cloth, like a microfiber cleaning cloth.

If none of these suggestions work, try contacting a professional cleaning company that specializes in major cleaning jobs, like hoarding situations, or flood or fire damage. They have access to professional grade cleaning chemicals, the training to use them safely and experience using them on other jobs. Depending on what sort of coating your floor has, they may need to strip, clean and refinish the floor. A lot of work for sure, but slightly less drastic than replacement.

You didn't mention what kind of room this is, so I have no clue what's in it. But do check ALL the furniture in the room, cushions, drapes that touch the floor, etc. There may be another object in the room that's part of the problem and will also need cleaning.

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison