Pot Bellied Pigs/Tea Tree Oil and mini pigs

Question
My pig was just freaking out and acting as if he was suddenly itchy ALL over. I grabbed his brush and started brushing away, but he continued. He was scratching himself on the gate, the floor (looked like he was humping the floor), on me then he would drop while itching onto my feet. I realized it was the tea tree oil I had just sprayed on my feet...it was like catnip from him!! Then my girl started doing it. My other much younger boy did not..Is tea tree oil like catnip for pigs? Is it still considered safe if they get some on them?

Answer
  Pigs can do bizarre things when they smell certain odors! Usually scented personal products, like lotions, sprays and oils, cause this. It can be really, really scary the first time it happens. It looks like a seizure when piggy drops and rubs against the floor!

But, the whole thing seems to be safe enough. I don't know what the pigs think about it. There doesn't seem to be an after effect, once the scent is gone (or at least reduced) the pig goes back to totally normal.

Pigs are individuals, and react individually to scents. As you've seen, two of your three reacted to the scent. Chances are, at some point in time, you'll find another scent that your third pig reacts to, but your other two ignore.

This strange behavior is why I recommend unscented sunscreens and insect repellent for pigs. It's impossible to tell how a pig will react to a smell until he or she has smelled it

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison