Pottery/high fire clay body / low fire glaze

vsilver1 wrote at 2013-04-05 17:13:20

I read The Essential Guide to Mold Making & Slip Casting by Andrew Martin and he states that slipcast platters/any large flat slip cast piece tend to slump during firing. What he suggests is that you make your model slightly arched if you want the fired piece to be flat. Kohler designs all of their plaster molds of their toilet tank covers with an arch. The slip cast piece then slumps to a flat position during firing

Ric Swenson

For nearly 40 years I have been involved with pottery. I specialize in wheelthrown pottery, but spent 12 years as Plant Manager of Bennington Potters, Inc. where I learned all about RAM pressing, slip casting, jiggering, OSHA regulations regarding clay manufacture, safety, etc. I have specific knowledge in forming techniques, texturing clay, clay bodies, glazes and application techniques, as well as firing and kiln building. I do not have knowledge of the values of ceramic works of the past.

I have taught ceramics and art history at the high school and college level in Anchorage, AK (UAA) and Bennington, VT.for 12 years. I ran Bennington Potters, Inc. for 12 years 1982-94. I was manager of Fine Art Tile Co.,San Antonio, TX for several years and taught Pottery classes in Atlanta, GA. at Elements (Kickwheel Pottery Supply), Currently in JingDeZhen , P.R. China, teaching Ceramics and Oral English.

American Ceramic Society (Chair of Design Div. 1985-7) Current member of Tucker Arts Guild, Tucker, GA.

BFA, Drawing and Painting, Pacific Lutheran Univ., Tacoma, WA. 1970 with certification to teach Art K-12.
MFA, Ceramics, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA. 1976

One Man Show of Pottery, Anchorage Historical and Fine Arts Museum.
Alaska Art Bank Collection, Collection U. of Puget Sound, JingDeZhen Ceramics Institute, China.
Over 70 juried entries in State and Regional art shows over 30 years. Solo exhibition, 2006, The Pottery Workshop, JingDeZhen, China. Exhibitor and Conference participant, Wu Yi Shan Univ. China 2007. Exhibitor at Jingdezhen Ceramic Fairs 2007-2009. Collection of the City of Jingdezhen Ceramic Museum.