grrrr wrote at 2013-02-07 03:51:01
I know this is an old question, but I am having the same issue with my ceramic Pottery Barn dishes.  We are trying to eliminate various causes, including moisture on the dishes when they are put away, and even after washing them at high temperature and drying them completely in an open dishwasher, the moldy smell  returns.  

Any one else confirmed they are drying the dishes and still getting a moldy smell?  We are testing our tap water, as well, and all that is coming up negative...

Ric Swenson

For nearly 40 years I have been involved with pottery. I specialize in wheelthrown pottery, but spent 12 years as Plant Manager of Bennington Potters, Inc. where I learned all about RAM pressing, slip casting, jiggering, OSHA regulations regarding clay manufacture, safety, etc. I have specific knowledge in forming techniques, texturing clay, clay bodies, glazes and application techniques, as well as firing and kiln building. I do not have knowledge of the values of ceramic works of the past.

I have taught ceramics and art history at the high school and college level in Anchorage, AK (UAA) and Bennington, VT.for 12 years. I ran Bennington Potters, Inc. for 12 years 1982-94. I was manager of Fine Art Tile Co.,San Antonio, TX for several years and taught Pottery classes in Atlanta, GA. at Elements (Kickwheel Pottery Supply), Currently in JingDeZhen , P.R. China, teaching Ceramics and Oral English.

American Ceramic Society (Chair of Design Div. 1985-7) Current member of Tucker Arts Guild, Tucker, GA.

BFA, Drawing and Painting, Pacific Lutheran Univ., Tacoma, WA. 1970 with certification to teach Art K-12.
MFA, Ceramics, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA. 1976

One Man Show of Pottery, Anchorage Historical and Fine Arts Museum.
Alaska Art Bank Collection, Collection U. of Puget Sound, JingDeZhen Ceramics Institute, China.
Over 70 juried entries in State and Regional art shows over 30 years. Solo exhibition, 2006, The Pottery Workshop, JingDeZhen, China. Exhibitor and Conference participant, Wu Yi Shan Univ. China 2007. Exhibitor at Jingdezhen Ceramic Fairs 2007-2009. Collection of the City of Jingdezhen Ceramic Museum.