Pottery/Repairing Broken Porcelain

Question
Hi, my cat jumped up on my kitchen counter and broke my porcelain teapot spout completely off along with a cup handle. So now there's just a hole in my teapot.Do you know how I'd be able to repair them. Well,I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you. Lisa

Answer
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for your recent question. In order to repair your teapot and cup, you will need to gather the following items.

small paper plate and stick
masking tape
pan filled with sand
clear epoxy glue
toothpicks
cotton swabs
acetone (nail polish remover)

Take time to repair the pieces. Do not use quick bonding glue, such as super glue to mend porcelain as you need time to be able to fit the pieces together and secure them for drying. I choose masking tape and a sand tray to secure the pieces while drying. The sand tray is to place the piece into so that you can work with the broken pieces, while the sand holds the larger piece. The pot or cup can also be left in the sand to dry. Masking tape is excellent to hold the broken piece to the original piece while the mending drys.

Procedure:
    Begin by placing the first piece into the sand tray. Position it where the broken area is level and facing up. Collect all of the broken pieces and begin by placing them on the original piece, positioning them so that you know which ones will be at each location.

Next, mix a small amount of epoxy, according to instructions, in the small paper plate. Using the stick, stir the epoxy until each portion is mixed.

Using a toothpick, scoop up some of the epoxy and paint it onto the original broken area.

Gather a broken piece and place it where it belongs on the original piece.

Use masking tape to secure the piece. Drape the masking tape over the piece, and not around the area where the epoxy is located.

Use acetone and cotton swabs to clean any epoxy from the mended areas.

Add additional epoxy if needed to any remaining broken areas or chipped areas.

Place the broken pieces or chipped pieces in place.

You should not have to secure these pieces or chips.

Use acetone and cotton swabs to clean any epoxy from the remaining mended areas.

Allow the pieces to dry completely, usually 24 hours.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at any time. I am always at your service. Good luck!

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips