Pottery/Broken Teapot Handle

I just read your response to someone else on fixing a broken teapot spout using epoxy. I just broke the handle off my teapot. It is a really clean break and I can see that it will fit back together with very little hint that it was ever broken. Before I try to fix it, I want to make sure the epoxy will be strong enough to support the teapot when it's full of tea. It hold about 4 cups of water. Do you think it will hold?

Thanks a million!

Dear Steph,

Thank you for your recent question. If you are able to glue the handle to the pot where the pieces join without any gap in the broken sections, then yes, the pot handle will be sturdy enough to hold the pot when full. Be sure and follow the instructions on the epoxy carefully and use a piece of duct tape to hold the pieces tightly together until dry. When removing the duct tape, use some fingernail polish remover to remove any tack left behind.

I hope this helps you mend your teapot. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at any time. Always at your service. Much luck to you.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.