Pottery/Re-Glaze and Re-Fire

QUESTION: Hi Ti Phillips,

I have some questions about re glazing and re firing.

I fired some low fire white talc free clay in my kiln to cone 06.

I glazed the pieces,then used a clear glaze over the colors(f-10 glaze).

Then I fired to cone 05.

I would like to know if I can re-glaze and re-fire at this point? I want to add a little more color.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help!

ANSWER: Dear Alice,

Thank you for your recent question. Yes you can re-fire your pieces with new glaze, as long as you use a glaze that has the same maturing temperature as the original glaze. However, if you choose to use a different glaze maturing temperature, use 1 that is lower than the original glaze maturing temperature.

To explain, A glaze with the same or lower find temperature will not affect the original glaze. But, a glaze with a higher firing temperature will melt the original glaze.

Additionally, if you apply a glaze over the original glaze, it could affect the original glaze color, texture, mattness, or other characteristics. So your should be taken before attempting to apply a glaze over a glaze.

I hope this helped you. If you have further questions please contact me at anytime. Always at your service. Good luck.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

QUESTION: Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate your guidance.

I am using the same cone 05 glazes as the original glazes on the pieces. they come from the same bottle.

using a dark color over original/previous light glazes.

Thank you! I am trying this out, I am so happy that this is possible!

ANSWER: Dear Alice,

Thank you for your follow-up message. I hope your re-glaze works well for you. Please let me know how they turn out. Good luck.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

QUESTION: Thank you so much!! It worked!! I am so happy! Many thanks to you!

Dear Alice,

Thank you for your recent follow-up message. I am so happy for you! The kiln gods were in your favor. If you ever have any questions in the future, you are welcome to contact me at any time. I am always at your service!

Ms. Ti Phillips

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.