Pottery/Solution to Stuck Bowl Bottoms

Question
broken feet
broken feet  
Greetings,
I am a novice in this field. I recently began learning about ceramics and throwing from a friend of mine, during some open studio time in a nearby town. My friend has experience, and is a wonderful artist, but had little to no advice about layering and glaze technique. So i experimented... A lot. I love the results. However, two of the experiments ran more than the others. It seems one of the glazes I used caused others to do strange and unexpected things to several students pieces. These two bowls were glazed to the shelf. When I picked them up from the studio, I thought that I may have to throw them away if I cannot find a way to salvage/fix the foot. Other than felting the bottom after grinding off the shell, is there anything that can be done? Or is this just a lesson learned "toss 'em" situation?
Thank you for your time.

Answer
Dear Stephanie,

Thank you for your recent question. Yes, you definitely have a problem with the glazes you used. This is why you should always stilt pieces that you experiment with when using unknown glaze mixes. However, these pieces are salvageable provided you want to spend some time with them. I would use a grinding stone to take off and even out the feet. It will take some work, but if these are student pieces, you may want to put the effort in.

When you finish grinding off and evening out the feet, you can re-apply the same glazes to the piece and keep them inverted, stilt them and re-fire.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me again any time. I am always at your service.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips