Pottery/Using Metal with Clay and Firing

What type of metal screw can I fire with clay to adhere to become bisque ware?  Trying to make wine stoppers.

Dear Colette,

Thank you for your recent question. You will want to use a screw made of steel. Carbon steel screws melt between 2600 and 2800 degrees F, while stainless steel melts at 2750 degrees F. One other type of metal you can use that is becoming more common for high temperature screws is a screw made of Niobium which melts at 4473 degrees F. All of the above screws are beyond the maturing temperature of porcelain.

I hope this answers your question. If you have further questions, you are welcome to contact me at any time. Always at your service. Good luck.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.