Pottery/Using Metal with Clay and Firing

Question
What type of metal screw can I fire with clay to adhere to become bisque ware?  Trying to make wine stoppers.

Answer
Dear Colette,

Thank you for your recent question. You will want to use a screw made of steel. Carbon steel screws melt between 2600 and 2800 degrees F, while stainless steel melts at 2750 degrees F. One other type of metal you can use that is becoming more common for high temperature screws is a screw made of Niobium which melts at 4473 degrees F. All of the above screws are beyond the maturing temperature of porcelain.

I hope this answers your question. If you have further questions, you are welcome to contact me at any time. Always at your service. Good luck.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips