Pottery/Firing Multiple Cones Together

Question
I fire my greenware to bisque at cone 05.  The glazes I have vary in cones from 04, 05, and 6.  My question is, can I glaze fire them together?  If so, what cone should I use?

Answer
Dear Debbie,

Thank you for your recent question. Unfortunately, you can not fire the cones you have listed together. Firing cone 04 and cone 05 to cone 6 will melt cone 04 and cone 05 completely off the ware. They would melt all over your kiln. If you were to fire cone 6 to cone 04 or 05, it would be under fired and look like chalk as well as not fuse with the clay body properly.

My suggestion to you is to create enough ware in each cone to fire a full load of each. In the future, I suggest that you determine which glaze cone range that you would like to work with and purchase glazes in that cone only. This will allow you to make ware that is of a particular cone and suitable for the projects you intend on making. If you are working with non-functional ware, then cone 04 and 05 are perfect for this type of pottery. Functional ware can be made with any of the cones you have listed, so long as the glaze is food safe.

Something to keep in mind is the higher the cone, the more mottled the glaze will become. So if you like working with true colors, then I suggest you work with the lower cones. However, if you like colors that are multiple, like crystals or special designs like oil spot, then you should work with glazes in the cone 6 and above range.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please fell free to contact me at any time. Much luck to you.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips