Pottery/Re-Firing Under Fired Pottery

I am a novice at making pots.  As an Art teacher, I loaded my older vintage kiln and set it for 8 hr cone 5 with an automatic shut-off.
Usually I fire at setting 2 for 2 hrs., setting 6 for 2 hrs. and setting 12 for the remainder of the time.  This time, I got busy and forgot to change settings until 4 hrs. later, then fogot until 3 hrs. later and found the kiln had shut itself off.  I had never changed it to 12 at all.  My question is...what do I do now?  Should I refire it with a timer set this time for 2hr. increments so I remember to change the settings on time or what?
Is it safe to do this?

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your recent question. Yes, you can re-fire the pottery with your normal settings. Since the ware is under fired, re-firing them to the maturing cone will not damage the pottery and will render them fired to the correct cone.

I hope this helps you. Good luck and if you have further questions, you are welcome to contact me at any time. Always at your service.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.