Pottery/Re-Firing Under Fired Pottery

Question
I am a novice at making pots.  As an Art teacher, I loaded my older vintage kiln and set it for 8 hr cone 5 with an automatic shut-off.
Usually I fire at setting 2 for 2 hrs., setting 6 for 2 hrs. and setting 12 for the remainder of the time.  This time, I got busy and forgot to change settings until 4 hrs. later, then fogot until 3 hrs. later and found the kiln had shut itself off.  I had never changed it to 12 at all.  My question is...what do I do now?  Should I refire it with a timer set this time for 2hr. increments so I remember to change the settings on time or what?
Is it safe to do this?

Answer
Dear Chris,

Thank you for your recent question. Yes, you can re-fire the pottery with your normal settings. Since the ware is under fired, re-firing them to the maturing cone will not damage the pottery and will render them fired to the correct cone.

I hope this helps you. Good luck and if you have further questions, you are welcome to contact me at any time. Always at your service.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips