Pottery/Repairing a Chiminea

Question
Hi there -

i have a chiminea that has had the top half break off during a move.  right now it is calmly resting on the bottom half and i was wondering what type of expoxy or other substance i could us to "glue" the pieces together to form a bond.  I don't move it often, only when i move residences, so it doesn't have to be super secure. any info would be great!

Answer
Dear Mike,

Thank you for your recent question. The best fix for the chiminea is gorilla glue. You want to purchase the standard glue (brown) for this purpose. Do not use the super gorilla glue as it is not temperature resistant.

Clean the chiminea by spraying it inside and out with a sprayer. Let it dry completely...two or three days. Use a tooth brush to brush off any left on suet or earthenware dust. Use a spray bottle to lightly moisten the surface of the crack. Apply the glue along the crack and allow it to dry several days. This should mend it and keep it from cracking further.

When you use the chiminea for the first time, build a small fire and let the chiminea heat slowly so that suet can build up on the inside, protecting the glue further. Then, use as normal.

I hope this has helped you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me again. Thank you and good luck!

Sincerely,
Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips