Pottery/Bubbling on Glazed Pottery

Question
My granddaughter and I recently took a ceramic class.  We made slab characters.  They were then glazed and fired--glaze over greenware.  Her figure glazed well, mine bubbled.  Same glazes used.
Can I have mine re-fired?  Why did they react differently in the kiln?

Answer
Dear Karen,

Thank you for your recent question. Although the same firing method was used for the slap pieces, rarely, but possible can the glaze react differently due to the location in the kiln. The bubbling resulted from underfiring. Bubbles happen when a glaze is in its melting stages and gasses are released. If the slab is located in a kiln where the elements are not reaching temperature, the glaze does not have a chance to release all of the gasses, resulting in bubbles being caught up in the melt and frozen in time.

First, let your instructor know that the glaze was fired with another piece that fired correctly, when yours did not. Let them know that they may need to check the elements on the kiln to insure they are not wearing out and failing to reach maturing temperature.

Next, let your instructor refire your piece to maturing cone. If the kiln reaches maturing temperature, your piece should turn out fine.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at any time. Always at your service. Good luck!

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips