Pottery/Firing to Cone 04

Question
Hello. I just recently decided to get back into ceramics. I have EM-210 Low Fire White / Laguna clay cone 04 and the kiln I will be using is an electric kiln that does not have a kiln sitter. i was wondering how long does the bisque need to fire for once it has reach temperature and do i need to use pyrometric cones?

Answer
Dear Katey,

Thank you for your recent question. You will have to use a cone to fire the kiln and determine when the kiln has reached maturing temperature. Bisque to cone 04 usually takes between 8 to 12 hours, depending on the age of the kiln elements. To properly fire the kiln, use a cone 03, cone 04 and cone 05 to determine the stage the firing is in. When cone 05 begins to bend, you will have approximately 15 minutes before cone 04 begins to bend. So keep an eye on cone 05 to prepare you for the next cone bend. When cone 04 begins to bend, wait 10 minutes before checking again. It should drop between 10 and 20 minutes, depending on the kiln elements and the ramp temperature you used. At the time when cone 04 bends and the point is touching the horizontal surface, you will need to turn off the kiln completely. This will end the firing and prevent the kiln from reaching cone 03.

When you examine the cones, cone 05 will be bent completely and should be at a melting stage. Cone 04 should be bent over and the point touching the horizontal surface of whatever you used to hold the cones. Cone 03 should either be standing or just beginning to bend slightly. This is a proper firing for cone 04.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at any time. I am always at your service. Good luck!

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips