Pottery/Bisque Fired Clay Yellow in Color

Question
I recently bought a kiln and am new at firing by myself. I fire a mid-fire white clay body and ran a bisque load at a cone 05. My bisque turned a yellow color and Im wondering what I did wrong and if I glaze with a clear coat will it stay yellow after the second firing?

Answer
Dear Rachel,

Thank you for your recent question. You have done nothing wrong. The clay body has not reached its matured temperature. The yellowing is most likely from the iron content in the clay. Once the clay has been fired to it's maturing mid-cone range, it should be white, no matter what color glaze you apply.

Most clays have iron in their content. When they are worked, the clay is usually a darker color than what it will be when it is fired to maturing temperature. As the clay is fired to cone 05, there is still enough iron in the clay to maintain a yellow or reddish color. When the clay is glaze fired or fired without glaze to it's maturing temperature of cone 6, it will burn off the excess iron and the clay will be white.

Don't worry, you have done nothing wrong. Continue with your glazing as planned and fire to the maturing cone.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me again in the future. I am always at your service. Good luck to you.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips