Pottery/Cress kiln FX -23 Kiln Sitter Instructions

Hi Ti Phillips,
I have recently acquired a used Cress FX-23 kiln. I dont know the previous owners. When i prepare the settings, and place the cone on the kiln sitter, then start it by pressing the white button. I hear it turn on, the lights go on, i can even feel the coils heating up. But once i stop holding onto the button to switch it on, it turns off. It seems to only work if i hold onto the button and wont lock on its own. Is there something I am doing wrong or needs to be fixed?

Dear Holly,

Thank you for your recent question. I am including complete instructions on how to operate the kiln sitter. Furthermore, I am including a manual for the Cress FX-23 Kiln as well as other helpful instructions on the kiln. I am sure you will find the instructions will answer your question on how to operate the sitter and give you the manual for other instructions, such as repairs.,%20FOR%20A,B,C%20KILNS.pdf

Other Information For Your Kiln,%20EB,%20EF,%20FX,%20FTX,%20FE,%20and%20FTE%20ELEM,FTX23F-208%20VAC.pdf

With your kiln, you need to set the timer before pushing in the kiln sitter button. This should keep the kiln on.

I hope this answers your question. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at any time. Always at your service. Much luck to you.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.