Pottery/Lowering the Temperature of a Glaze

I am glazing a sculpture that requires a cone 06 to 04 glaze firing. My experience has only been in the mid-range glazes. I would very much like to modify Val Cushing's "Polished Matte," which fires at cone 5,6. What needs to be changed?

Here's his recipe: Kona F-4 Feldspar  20 grams
         Custer Feldspar    20 grams
         Spodumene          20 grams
         Dolomite          20 grams
         Whiting          5 grams
         Kaolin (EPK)       15 grams
         Bentonite          2 grams
         Tin oxide          6 grams
         CMC gum          1 tsp.

I have tried most of his low fire matte/satin glazes, but have been dissatisfied. This glaze is self-leveling, wonderful to touch, not at all shiny, and works well with other glazes.  In short, it's perfect for me. I very much appreciate any help you can give me in lowering its firing temperature.

Thanks very much, Priscilla

Dear Priscilla,

Thank you for your recent request. The recipe, when caculated results in a cone 10-12 glaze recipe. I am wondering if any of the ingredients were transposed incorrectly. I can't find this glaze recipe in any of Cushings' books. Could you please let me know which book you copied it from. The recipe must be correct before we can begin.

I look forward to your reply.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.