Pottery/Making a Piece Functional

Question
I have been looking for a natvie american horse hair wedding vase for some time now and can only find ones that have not been glazed or sealed on the inside. Is there anything I can put on the inside of the the vase to make it use?
Thanks for you time!

Answer
Dear Kat,

Thank you for your recent question. Native American horse hair wedding vases are usually, but not always, made from earthenware. The purpose of the wedding vase is to represent the sealing of marriage by drinking from the vase a mixture made by the tribes medicine man. The inside is left unglazed and unsealed as a traditional method of design. Drinking from the vase during the ceremony will not hurt those who consume from it. And because it is only used once for the ceremony, there is no risk of consuming anything from the clay. Even if it were used more than once, the clay body itself poses no threat.

However, after use, if it is to be used again, the ware should be filled with boiling hot water to assure the ware is cleaned before storage.

On older wedding vases, made prior to 1990, I would be more concerned with any glaze on the outside drinking area of the vase as many glazes made before 1990 contained lead. If you have a newer vase, I suggest that you leave the vase unglazed on the inside and unsealed as part of the traditional decorative aspects and to prevent damaging the fired glaze design on the outside of the vase.

Because the vase contains horsehair decoration, any firing to the pot would cause the carbon left behind by the horse hair to disintegrate. Thus the design would be gone. If you are set on having a wedding vase with a glazed inside, I suggest you contact the artist in which you are going to purchase a vase and ask them to create one with your specifications. Many are glad to do this for a customer.

I hope this gives you some valuable information and answers your question. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me again at any time. I am always at your service.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips