Pottery/Natural Glaze on Terra Cotta

Question
i am from a company by the name omved pure natural living. we have 6 stores in mumbai india. we sell natural products which include terra cotta which we source from pondicheery. we sell terra cotta oil burners and the bowl for the oil absorbed  essential oils hence customers complained saying it was expensive to use this product since lot of oil got lost due to absorption we  started putting natural glaze and the problem was resolved. then we were told that glazing terra cotta in natural glaze gave out poisonous vapors could you please tell me if the aforesaid is true? if so what would you suggest?

Answer
Dear Radhika Jasani,

Thank you for your recent question. Natural glazes can be a combination of many different raw materials. There is no way to tell you if your natural glaze is safe without knowing the ingredients of the glaze and to what temperature you are firing the glaze to.

If you would like to send me a list of materials used in your natural glaze and the cone or maturing temperature you are firing to, I will gladly let you know if your glaze is safe.

I await your reply.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips