Pottery/Skutt EnviroVent Model SE1Troubleshooting

My Gare electric kiln has a Skutt EnviroVent model SE1 mounted on the bottom. It does seem to be drawing a downdraft during the firing, but the fumes are still quite strong, almost as if I had no vent at all. Before I try taking it all apart, can you give me any tips for testing and diagnosing the problem?

Dear Phil,

Thank you for your recent question. Commonly, the problem with the EnviroVent in situations such as yours is a plugged area where fumes can not escape the kiln through the EnviroVent. I will take you step by step to assure the venting system is clean of debris.

First, check the hole location and make sure they are lined up properly. Because the venting system is not secured to the kiln, only positioned with the spring, a slight shift in the kiln can cause the vent holes to not align. If you live in an area where there are even slight earthquakes, shifting can happen often.

If the holes are aligned, the next step is to check to make sure the holes are not plugged by debris. Even small or partial blocking can cause the vent to not work properly.

Next, check for holes in the ducting. Even a small hole can cause the vent to not work properly.

Next, check the exit duct to make sure it is free from debris. If there is no screen on the outside wall of the building, bugs, birds and other debris can become trapped in the duct.

Finally, make sure you have a cross draft going in the room. Open a window while firing and operating the venting system. Just make sure the draft is coming into the room and not going out. To assure this, you can place a fan in the window, blowing inside the room. It is essential to have fresh air coming into the room to replace the air being drawn out by the venting system.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at any time. I am always at your service. Much luck.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.