Pottery/Ceramic Birdbath Hole Repair

Question
I have a ceramic birdbath with a 1 inch hole in the bottom. (I didn't take it in for the winter and the ice did a number on it).  Is there a way to patch and repair it?  I don't want to purchase another one as the base is fine and they don't sell just the bowl.  Thanks!

Answer
Dear Cathy,

Thank you for your recent question. To repair the hole in your birdbath, you will need the following items:

1. Play Sand, approximately 1/4 cup
    2. Epoxy
    3. Cardboard
    4. Paper plate
    5. Tablespoon
    6. Scissors
    7. Duct tape
    8. Tongue depressor

Begin by cutting a round circle from the cardboard approximately 1/4 inch wider in circumference than the hole in the birdbath. Using the duct tape, place the circle on the bottom side of the birdbath and tape with the duct tape to hold.

Placing 2 tablespoons of sand onto the paper plate, add the epoxy as directed to the play sand and mix with the tongue depressor until the epoxy is mixed thoroughly with the sand.

Using the tongue depressor, spread the play sand/epoxy mixture over the hole in the birdbath. Smooth outward from the center of the hole to the approximately 1/4" over the edge.

Hold the cardboard underneath the birdbath and carefully remove the duct tape. Then slide the cardboard along the surface of the birdbath to remove. Do not pull it off as it will take the sand/epoxy mixture with it. It must slide to remove.

Allow to dry and repeat if necessary to achieve a strong surface hold.

This should fix your birdbath. You can paint if necessary, however, I suggest you leave it as it is.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me again at any time. Good luck.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com  

Pottery

Ti Phillips