Pottery/Two Knob Kiln Firing Schedule

Question
kiln
kiln  
I bought a kiln and I have no manual. I was told it was a Skutt but that might just be the kiln sitter. I have fired it twice with luck but would like to make sure I am firing correctly. Would you know what the schedule would be for both bisque 04 and glaze 5 or 6 fire?
The knobs are a low, medium and high.

Thanks for any help with this!
Rhonda

Answer
Dear Rhonda,

Thank you for your recent question. The Skutt Kiln K 818 is simple to fire. Both cone 04 and medium temperature will fire with the same schedule, as the kiln will turn off at the required maturing temperature. You may need to adjust the schedule to meet your needs in firing once you have fired for the first time using this schedule. The following is a general schedule. Please adjust as needed for various clay bodies and glazes, once you have made a successful firing.

Prop the lid of the kiln open about 2-3 inches.
Leave the peep hole plugs open.
The switches in the schedule will be referred to as 1 - the bottom switch, 2- the top switch.

Turn 1 to Low
Wait 2 hours
Turn 2 to Low
Wait 1 hour

Turn 1 to M
Wait 2 hours
Turn 2 to M
Wait 2 hours

Turn 1 to H
Wait 1 hour
Turn 2 to H
Wait 1 hour

Close the lid
Wait 2 hours

Plug the peep holes
Fire until maturing cone bends

To stop firing, turn all knobs off. Wait for 6 hours and then pull the peep hole plugs. Wait another 6 hours before cracking the lid. Remove pottery when the kiln cools completely.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at any time. Much success to you!

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com  

Pottery

Ti Phillips