Pottery/Firing a Blue Diamond Kiln Model 180

Question
I have never used anything but a programmable 1227 skutt kiln.
I was recently given an old Blue Diamond kiln model # 180. (It looks like new, was purchased in 1975)  I have no idea how to fire this kiln.  I normally fire bisque to .06 and glaze a 5.  Can you please help me?
Thanks so much,
Susie Hite

Answer
Dear Susie,

Thank you for your recent question. I have included a link to the manual for your kiln. This gives instructions on firing. However, I have also included detailed instructions on firing the kiln in a sequential listing to better help you. Depending on the number of knobs on your kiln, select the appropriate firing schedule.

http://www.bluediamondkiln.com/manuals/BDManualrev1.pdf

There will either be one, two or three knobs. Below, you should choose the firing schedule for how many knobs you have on your kiln.

One Knob

Turn to low for two hours.
Turn to medium for two hours.
Turn to high until cone drops.

Two Knob

Turn the lower knob to low for one and one half hour.
Turn the upper knob to low for one and one half hour.
Turn the lower knob to medium for one and one half hour.
Turn the upper knob to medium for one and one half hour.
Turn the lower knob to high for one and one half hour.
Turn the upper knob to high until cone drops.

Three Knob

Turn the lower knob to low for one hour.
Turn the middle knob to low for one hour.
Turn the upper knob to low for one hour.
Turn the lower knob to medium for one hour.
Turn the middle knob to medium for one hour
Turn the upper knob to medium for one hour.
Turn the lower knob to high for one hour.
Turn the upper knob to high for one hour.

I hope this assists you in learning to fire the kiln. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me again at any time. I am always at your service.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com  

Pottery

Ti Phillips