Pottery/Strength of Ferric Chloride in Foil Sagger Firing

Question
hi phillip wanted to know the strength of ferric chloride use for foil saggar firing thnks

Answer
Dear Sultana,

Thank you for your recent question. The strength of ferric chloride in foil sagger firing can be from 50% to 100%, depending on the coloring you desire. Peach and tannish colors are prevailant in mixture of 50:50. Increasing the amount of ferric chloride up to 100:0 will result in oranges, browns and brick reds.

Remember that ferric chloride is a very strong copper etching chemical and is highly toxic. You must wear appropriate breathing protection during all stages of use. This includes application, firing and cleaning of the kiln.

I hope this answers your question. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at any time. Always at your service.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips