Pottery/Fired Glazed Pots Not Holding Shape

Question
QUESTION: Hi you helped us before and I'm hoping you can again!
We recently had to replace our thermo cupple...the last two glaze firing's some of our bowls/cups are losing their shape...what is causing this and how can we fix it
Thank you
Kristi

ANSWER: Dear Kristi,

Thank you for your recent question. I am glad you returned to AllExperts for additional assistance.

Bowls and cups can loose shape during a glaze firing when the firing is performed too quickly or the kiln is heating faster than normal. Try slowing your firing down in the first 1000 degrees by raising the kiln, or other words, ramp the temperature at 200 degrees F per every 2 hours until the kiln reaches 1000 degrees, then fire normally. This should correct the problem.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, or this solution does not solve your problem, please feel free to contact me again. I am always at your service. My apologies for the timeliness in the answer. I was away on a family emergency.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

QUESTION: Dont have a question just getting back we did a firing a few weeks ago..i emailed then things looked better
Thank you for your help! We use setters under our glaze stuff so we are being more carefull with the flatness of them too   thank you again
Kristi

Answer
Dear Kristi,

Thank you for your recent comment. It is good to know that you ware is turning out better. If I can be of further service to you, please contact me at any time. Good luck to you and happy holidays.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips