Pottery/How To Repair Hairline Cracks On An Indoor Fountain

I purchased a indoor fountain from an estate sale. It had a visible crack that was repaired. However, when I tested it at home I discovered hairline cracks. Still would like to repair it,because I love the colors inside. Later purchase epoxy sealer. (It was a small tube) Outside in the daylight I inspected it thoroughly to find the hairline cracks, and sealed them. After allowing the proper drying time, I tested it again. There were still a few very fine cracks.

Can you suggest is there a clear sealant that can be brushed on, without losing the integrity of the colors. It's a pretty big pot,and I understand that it's the pressure from the water, but it will only be filled 1/2 way. So, my concern is the bottom and 3/4 of the sides.
Thanking you in advance for any help to save this fountain.
E. Francis
Atlanta, GA.

Dear E. Francis,

Thank you for your recent question. To repair the fountain and leave the integrity of the colors, use clear polyurethane. You can pick up a quart can of glossy or matte, depending on the final finish you want. You can brush this on with a paint brush and let it dry. Sand lightly with 800 grit sand paper after it has dried and re-apply an additional coating. This will create a beautiful clear finish and the colors will remain vibrant.

If you do not want to change the colors on the inside with a more intense finish, use the polyurethane on the outside of the fountain. This too will seal the fountain and the inside will remain as it is.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at any time. I am always at your service. My apologies for the timeliness in the answer. I had a family emergency.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.