Pottery/How to Fix Hardened Wax Resist

I have some wax resist that I have had for a while, which has solidified. I tried to "re-liquify" it by heating, but it hardened again when cooled off. Is there a way that I can get it to stay in a liquified state, or do I need to order a new batch?

Dear Edie,

Thank you for your recent question. Wax resist is very temperamental when it comes to temperature. The wax you have was most likely frozen at one point or left at a temperature that was cool enough to solidify it. You can try this tip to see if it will go back to its liquid state. Heat the wax until it liquefies. Add 1/4 cup vegetable oil per cup of wax resist. Mix with a whip or in a blender until the oil is thoroughly homogenized with the wax resist. Because all wax resists are formulated differently, this may or may not work.  

Keep wax resist in the warmest area of the studio as you can. Remove only what you intend on using. Do not use from the jar. Discard what you remove it you don't use it all. Never pour used wax back into the original container as bacteria will grow on the wax and cause a terrible odor.

If this tip does not work, then you can still use the wax resist, but you will have to heat it each time. Instead of heating the entire contents, remove what you intend on using and set in the sun to liquefy. This will prevent your having to heat the whole container.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me again in the future. I am always at your service. Good luck!

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat  

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.