Pottery/Safety of LeCreuset Made in China

Question
Dear Ti, Your thoughtful response to the fellow who asked about the red glaze on his dishes from China really got me thinking about the quality of the LeCreuset French Onion bowls I just purchased. Foolishly, I assumed they were from France - then turned them over - 2 were made in China and 3 in Thailand! Do you think the name LeCreuset guarantees that LeCreuset checks the safety of the manufacturers in these countries? Or, are they just selling their name and don't really care about that? Do you think I should return them ASAP - and find some locally. The reason I liked them, is they can withstand the broiler (500 degrees) - but, it's not worth risking my friends and family's health. Would really appreciate your take on this. Best regards, Bridget

Answer
Dear Bridget,

Thank you for your recent question. I personally own a complete set of LeCreuset ware, and continue to purchase the products today. Over the years, I have leach tested those items that have come from China and Thailand only to find they are safe with no leaching qualities. This means the enamel has been baked onto the cast iron at a temperature rendering the enamel safe to use.
    The US has put very strict laws into affect for items coming into the US with lead or cadmium content. This is especially true for functional ware. Also, LeCreuset owns the businesses in China and Thailand and therefore continue to live by their standards of production. They do not use any toxic raw materials in their enamel ware.

In my opinion, your cookware and bowls should be fine to use. However, if they become pitted or the enamel chips, you should send them back to the manufacturer and have them replaced. Not because of leaching, but because food particles can become entrapped and create a bacterial hazard.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions, please fell free to contact me again at any time. I am always at your service.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com  

Pottery

Ti Phillips