Pottery/Determing Used Price for Skutt Model 818 - 240 Kiln

Im lookimg to purchase a skutt 818-240 how much is a fair price for this model in good contition?

Dear Benjamin

Thank you for your recent question. Purchasing price a used kiln depends very much on the condition of the kiln and itís working condition. Primarily, the condition of the kiln brick and elements are of importance as is the correct firing temperature. To determine what to purchase your kiln for, I have written a calculation for determining a fair purchase price for a kiln you are considering. Of course, you will want to look at the kiln, turn it on, examine the elements, brick, outer shell and controllers and sitters (if any) to be able to determine what is fair. The seller should also tell you when they purchased the kiln or how long they have owned it.

A.   Begin by examining the kiln inside and out. Note any defects on the outer skin and any chipped or broken kiln brick. Check the cords for burns or cuts in the wire and check the plug end to make sure the prongs are clean and shiny. Check the switches to make sure they all work and if the kiln has a cone sitter, make sure it is clean and it works properly. Make sure the controller, if digital, must light up and take commands. Finally, check the elements by heating the kiln to its highest temperature and carefully raise the lid with a metal rod and check each element to make sure they are glowing red hot. This should take no more than 15 to 20 minutes.  Write down any and all problems with the kiln.

B.   Now to determine what to pay the kiln for:
C.   If everything works perfectly on the kiln and the kiln is in good to excellent physical shape use the following information for the kiln. The purchase price new for this kiln is currently on sale at American Ceramic Supply for $1015.00 for a manual sitter or %1250.00 for a digital controller. Use the appropriate selling price as a starting price before the deductions:

1.   Use the current selling price for the kiln and multiply the price by 5%.
2.   Subtract the 5% amount from the current selling price of the kiln for each year the owner has owned it.

To help you understand the calculation, I have figured an example for you.

Example C1:

Original price of the digital kiln   $1250.00
Kiln owned for 4 years          $1250.00 x .05 = $62.50 x 4 years = $250.00
Kiln in excellent condition          $1250.00 -  $250.00 = Purchase Price = $1000.00

D.   If there are problems with the kiln, multiply the current selling price by 2% for each problem with the kiln and subtract this from the original purchase price as well.

Example D2:
Original price of the kiln          $1250.00
Broken kiln brick x 2          $1250.00 x .02 = $25.00 x 2 brick = $ 50.00
Element out x 1          $1250.00 x .02 = $25.00 x 1 element = $25.00
Total of faults for kiln          $1250.00 - $250.00 - $50.00 - $25.00 = Purchase Price $925.00

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at any time. I am always at your service. Good luck in purchasing your kiln.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat  

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.