Pottery/Preventing Holes From Filling With Glaze

Hello.  I have several hanging tree decorations to glaze and fire.  I have tried one as a sample and the hole has filled with hard glaze.  How can I do this keeping the hole free as I have to thread cord through for hanging.  Also, how should I stack them in the kiln.  Many thanks.  Adele

Dear Adele,

Thank you for your recent question. To prevent glaze from melting into and filling the holes in your tree decorations, first, clean the holes carefully to make sure there is no glaze on the surface of the clay in the hole. Also, make sure the hole is at least 1/2 the size greater than the size you want the hole to account for shrinkage. Next, fill the hole with wax resist. The wax will melt away as the kiln heats, but will coat the hole, preventing the glaze from sticking to the clay as the glaze melts and then hardens.

I am assuming you have glazed them on both sides. In this case, you will need some stilts to stack the ornaments onto. These are special pieces of kiln equipment that are made of refractory material and have pins molded into them in which your ornaments sit during the firing. The ornaments sit on top of the pins, preventing them from touching the kiln shelf.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me again at any time. I am always at your service. Good luck to you!

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.