Pottery/Chinese Vase

Question
Chinese Vase
Chinese Vase  

Detail and mark
Detail and mark  
Dear Ms. Phillips,

thank you very much for the fast reply. Here are two pictures with details of the vase. Unfortunately, the mark is blurred, but this may be intentionally, especially if the vase would be a modern one. At the right side there are several small differences to the seal marks I found in the internet, so I hope you may be able to find out more about this unusual piece. It looks like cloisonné, but it is painted porcelain. There are eight phoenix and one red bird. I did not find anything compareable, perhaps you can help me. Thank you very much for your kind support.

Nice greetings,
Angela

Answer
Dear Angela,

Thank you for your follow up information and the photos. I was able to locate the mark. It is considered a modern mark of the "Qianlong Nian Zhi" or "Qianlong Period Make" a modern mark after 1960. The design is a common one, created by mass marketing of copying product. These vases, although worth around $250 dollars in great condition are very common and are often sold as genuine Qianlong period vases. Sadly, many new collectors are taken by sellers who quote these vases as being period and not copies.

Because of the age of your vases, they are worth more than a vase of the same size produced today. However, they are replicas of the old period Qianlong vases produced in China during the period of 1736-1795.

As for the "defects", bloating and warping. These are often caused by the mishandling of the ware during the mass production. It is a shame that the artistic motif on the vases is higher quality than the making of the vase itself. But we can only blame ourselves, ones who demand Asian works of art in such high demand that it forces the culture to produce such inadequate pieces.

You should enjoy them for what they represent as a piece of the culture they were made for, but as for the quality and devotion to the artistic value that was once treasured by the older generations, I'm afraid you will have to settle for reading about it and viewing them in museums.

I hope this has enlightened you on your pieces. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me again any time. I am always at your service.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips