Pottery/Glazing high fired (cone 6) clay with 04-06 glaze

Question
Hello    I am doing an outdoor mosaic with my elementary students. We used an outdoor clay to make some of their tiles.  (Leaves and insects...).  I fired the clay at an cone 6 and they at ready to be glazed.  But I realized the glaze we have is low fire. (04 and 06). Can i do this?  Will the glaze be absorbed and last out doors?  I can't afford new glazes and I am hoping that I can.  But I don't want all of the hard work an money already spent go to waist.   Please help.

Answer
Dear Leela,

Thank you for your recent question. Unfortunately, if you were to use a cone 04-06 glaze on a cone 6 clay body, there would be no fusion between the clay and glaze and the glaze would eventually pop off the clay body.

My suggestion to you is to contact the glaze company where you purchased the glazes and ask them for an quick exchange. They will most likely exchange the glazes for the proper cone and if you let them know you are pressed for time, they may even send the glazes prior to you returning the incorrect ones.

If the glazes have been used in the past and are nonreturnable, try contacting a pottery studio in your area or even in the state and let them know of your problem. Often a small studio will help by sending you some glaze as a donation.

If you can't find a studio located near you, please contact me again and I will gladly assist you.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com  

Pottery

Ti Phillips