Pottery/Iron Oxide

Question
I recently put two coats of iron oxide and a thick coat of yellow ocher on my piece of ceramic bisque ware and fired it in a gas kiln to cone 10. When the piece came out, it was pewter in color, but I wanted it to look more like wood. Is there a chemical I could soak the piece in to remove some of the oxide?

Answer
Dear Debra,

Thank you for your recent question. There isn't any chemical that I know of that will remove the oxide that has been fused into the glaze on your pottery ware. You may however, try re-glazing the pot with additional yellow ocher to attempt to soften the oxide. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee as to what would happen when you apply the yellow ocher and because the iron oxide was added as a brush on glaze instead of adding it to the glaze in percentage proportions.

I do wish I could help you further, but glazing is a chemical science and once fired, it is pretty much permanent. Do try my suggestion as this may give you better results.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me again any time. I wish you luck.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com  

Pottery

Ti Phillips