Pottery/Cress FX23P Kiln

I just bought a used Cress FX23P kiln.  I have had it checked out and it is in great shape.  The only thing I am concerned about is the firing schedule.  I have read my manual and know how to set the kiln sitter, I am just unsure about how long the firings will take.  

Do you have any idea how long it will take to bisque to cone 04/05 and to glaze to cone 6?

Thank you!

Dear Christine,

Thank you for your recent question. Predicting the time it will take for your kiln to fire to specific cone ranges is difficult because each kiln fires at a different rate and the age of the kiln, the elements, the amount of pottery in the kiln during firing, etc., will affect the time it takes to reach maturing cone.

I most cases with a kiln that is in good condition, meaning the elements are under 50 (the number of firings the kiln elements have been exposed to), the amperage is set correctly for the kiln, the temperature outside the kiln and the kiln is packed when fired, a cone 04/05 bisque will take approximately 6-8 hours. A cone 6 glaze firing will take from 8-12 hours.

The best way to determine the length of time is to do a firing with the kiln sitter and plot the firing on a kiln firing chart. The kiln sitter will turn the kiln off at the maturing temperature and by you writing down the start time and stop time, you will have your true answer for your specific kiln.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me any time. I am always at your service.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.