Pottery/Identifying Qianlong Vase'

I have a pair of lobed vases that have what appears to be stamped with Qianlong dynasty marks. I will attach photos and all I'm trying to do is find out some information on them.
I know they are one of the most counterfeited pottery marks. Any info would be great. Thank You!

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for your recent question. I have looked at your photos you sent me via email and performed extensive research on the mark as well as the glaze work from the photo's. As you know, it is difficult to give exact information on dating, however, I believe I have come very close to identifying the date of these pieces and how they were manufactured.

The mark is definitely a Qianlong dynasty mark, however, it is not a period mark. This is shown by the clear border around the mark and the decorative design inside the border. The glazing of the ware is typical of a more modern artist, less skilled in the technique of perfection with areas of the ware being left without glaze and brush strokes being unsteady. Earlier glaze artists were trained for years in the perfection of brush skills to create crisp clean lines. For instance, a line drawn from point a to point b would be so straight, a ruler could be lined up next to the line and would be parallel to each other.

The piece, in my opinion, was created in the 1940's, but before 1949. The mark states Da Qing Qianlong Nian Zhi.

My apologies for the timeliness in responding to the second email. I recently became a new grandmother. I hope this helps in giving you enough information on your large vases. If you have further questions, or need additional assistance, please feel free to contact me at any time. I am always at your service.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.