Pottery/Building on Unglazed Bisque

Question
I hand-sculpted & fired a 6"-7" high "to humane scale" figurine in grolleg porcelain, c/8-10. At this unglazed, bisque stage I would like to extend or build-out the beard on the face. Will puff-paint stick & if not alone, maybe with superglue? Or, is there already a product created for this? Thank you for your help.

Answer
Dear Dawn,

Thank you for your recent question. There are several products on the market today that you can use to build up on bisque. To do this, I suggest your visiting the following website below and select the mending product for high fire bisque ware. Then create the extended beard, fire it to bisque and attach it to the figurine with the mending product and fire to maturing temperature. This would be the best method.

Remember to make the beard the size of the sculpture x the shrinkage rate of the clay fired to maturity so that the final bisque will be the correct size. Otherwise, the beard will be smaller than required for the figurine.

The website is: http://www.axner.com/patch-mender-fix-it.aspx

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please contact me at any time. I am always at your service. Good luck.

Sincerely,
Ms Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips