Pottery/Duncan DE820-2 Kiln Manual Firing Instructions

I am new to the world of pottery and kilns, glazes, under glazes........ I am firing my own stuff from my Duncan, DE820-2  Electronic kiln. It has an electronic key pad. From what I can tell its an awesome little machine. Now for the question; I have searched many a website to try and find out specifics for firing this type of kiln. How long does a bisque run “cone 05"?, How long do you need to leave the ports open and lid slightly a jar during ramp up? Im starting to understand more I just like to know things more clearly. Is there a book or a site I can go to that will fill in these blanks for me? Maybe
Thanks for your time.

ANSWER: Dear Kimberly,

Thank you for your recent questions. For years, I have been collecting and storing manuals for kilns and controllers and publishing them on my website for potters, such as yourself, who purchase kilns with no manuals.

I can go into the specifics of firing your kiln, however, everything you need to know about firing your kiln is in the manual located on my website listed below. Once you go to my website and download the manual and read it, if you have any questions or concerns you do not understand, please feel free to contact me again and I will gladly explain anything to you.

Please go to and click on RESOURCES, then the letter D. Located the link for Duncan LX-990 Electronic Kiln Model The Teacher DE-820-2. This is the manual for your kiln.

I hope this helps you. Good luck and remember, I am always at your service.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

QUESTION: I would like to thanks you for your time and effort and say that the info was very helpful. The manual was awesome.  Thank you. I’m not sure how to rate the info you gave me.

Dear Kimberly,

Thank you for your follow up response. There should be a clickable link after this message to rate the complete conversation, including all answers given to you concerning the kiln manual. Once you read this, please scroll through the page and I am sure you will find the link. It will be in blue. Thank you and have a great day.

Ms. Ti Phillips

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.