Pottery/Repairing Cracks On Greenware

I have constructed a large pot with 4 sloping sides and have cracks near the base of the piece that go all the way through the pot. I have used Mr Mark's Ware Repair on cracks in the rim of a greenware pot with some success. However, whe the piece was glazed, the glaze did not fire where the glue was -- it appears to look "scarred."
Can I brush the glue into the cracks at the greenware stage and still avoid the issue of the glue showing differently when the pot is fired?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Best wishes,
Bette Schneider

Dear Bette,

Thank you for your recent question. Before I answer your question on repairing your pot, I would like to add that if your pot is to be used as functional ware, I suggest you not repair it as repairing does not guarantee a sound surface which may leak during the transfer of hot and cold food products to the ware. However, if the ware is a pot, such as for planting or aesthetics value, then please continue with the advice given below.

Mr Marks Repair used to be the only repair for all cone levels of greenware and fired glazed ware. However, over the years, there have been some new developments that have increased the chances of repairing ware without the scarring look after glazing.

At the following website, there is a new product called "Crack Pot" that is formulated to meet the cone range you are firing to. For instance, if you are using cone 5 clay body, you can purchase a cone 5 repair glue for the repair. However, if you are going to glaze and are going to use a cone 6 glaze, then you would want to purchase a cone 6 repair to match the cone 6 glaze body.

Now with that said, these are all still glues, which incorporate raw materials that are not included in the raw materials of the clay and glaze you are using. This will create "some" scarring in "some" cases, but not all. And with the new formulas set to meet the same cone maturing temperature, the chances of having a successful repair without scarring is far greater than it used to be. So it is worth a try.

I have listed the website in which the product is talked about and sold.

I would follow the instructions on the product for details on how to use it. However, if you choose to use Mr Marks Repair, there will be no way to avoid the scarring issue but you can introduce it to the greenware, fire to bisque, glaze and then fire. Be careful when you apply the glue to keep from getting it onto the surface of the greenware. Once you have the cracks repaired, I would use a wood nail file to sand the surface just enough to remove any glue from the surface of the ware, then fire.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me again at any time. I am always at your service. Much luck to you.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.