Pottery/Duncan Kiln Settings

I have an older dunkin energy save kiln, it has 2 power dials one on top and the other on bottom with a kiln sitter and a timer inbetween.    I am not farmilial with the power dials they are not low medium and high as the manual states they say  off a few dots and highfire and ceramic overglase.    the 2 dots that have words highfire and ceramic overglaze are at the 1 and 3 oclock positions.    I am trying to figure out how to set this kiln to low to warm it up properly and then to medium and high for firing.  I typically fire at a cone 05 for bisuq and 6 for glaze this is a manual kiln and is a learning experience and oddly enough the manual has entirely different dials than the kiln???   was not able to find a alternate manual to reference...  any advice how to walk the heat up on this to acheve my desired results of bisque and glaze firing would be greatly appreciated!   Matt

Dear Matt,

Thank you for your recent questions. In order to assist you, I will need to know the model number of the kiln. There should be a plate on the outside of the kiln body telling the title of the kiln and the model number. Once I receive this, I will be able to help you.

I look forward to your reply.

Ms Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.